Saturday 4 September 2010

Tour de Fleece round up

My Scottish tour de fleece has been very successful. For the final score board I made my goals of spinning every day for two weeks and managed a total of 1.5 kilos of fibre which was converted into yarn.

One of my favourites
the highland tartan
This one is my absolute favourite but I dont have enough to make a cardi for me out of it. I think I will just have to keep it in a skein so I can pet it. I learn somethings about colour mixes and made some discoveries about the colours I like.

First Navajo plying (200gms)

I learnt to Navajo ply, and I worked on my travelling wheel.

Gorse yellow  (400gms)
The cows in the next field like listening to the squeak in the wheel as I was working to get wheel in better shape.

Bracken  (100gms)
It was funny to realise that my fibre selections actually match the surroundings so well.

I have 400gms of this
Bramble sock weight.
The new pipy has some querks but  she is lovely to work with and she is starting to look very beautiful. I am still working on her squeak and it may mean a new leather from saddler but it is not as bad as it was.

the Wendy
I also have some Jacob greys which was great for learning that I am not that keen about the texture of these types of fibres.

400 grams of Jacob that I think
is destined to be felted.
I have created some lovely yarns I am now trying to work out what the smick and I going to knit with these. I have more fibre as a result of the trip thanks to my collection of 4 Shetland fleeces which I plan to process within 12 months.

4 comments:

  1. Love the fact that you knit with yard that you have spun yourself.

    It is a very complete process ... well, almost. You'd need to own sheep and then you'd have to shear her/him etc.

    But you're coming up with lovely yarns ... and the photos are great ... they look very at home in the fields of Scotland?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could do with two sheep here to graze on my lawn ...

    I get a kick out of knitting something I have spun. I am aiming to get better at producing sock weight yarns as it is something I knit with all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you seriously have a sheep where you are?

    I think it'd fabulous what you're doing with yarn ... despite your crazy stories I think it'd be very relaxing spinning and hearing the motion of the spinning wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are surrounded by farm land. The house is a old farm workers cottage. Technically we could have 2 sheep on our backyard but since we are within the town limits the bylaws have the kibosh on that. Across the road behind the houses on the other side of the main road is a mushroom farm.

    ReplyDelete