Friday 23 July 2010

UK Knit camp homework

Sometimes the reality that my dyslexia affects me in my everyday life comes and hits me square between the eyes with a 2 by 4. If you have not worked out by some of my antics I can be totally delusional ala last minute Xmas knitting. Anyone for knitting a hoddie jumper in less than 48 hours ???  I sometimes delude myself that my dyslexia does not affect me when I am knitting.

For once in my life I was being a cautious bunny and actually was doing a swatch trial run so as not to damage my pretty wool.  For one knit camp event you need a Clapotis so I was preparing my homework assignment by doing the swatch and little trial run of the instructions. I had got through section one and two parts of the swatch but I just could not get my noggin round section 3 of the pattern. I had read the text and reread the text; and each time my cartoon brain had interpreted the instructions in a different manner.

After whinging like a four year old, a Knitnight knitter with good googlefoo posted a link for me and even with the sound off I got it. Just looking at the pictures of the hands moving and how they were picking up the bar sorted my total confusion out. It just confirmed in so many ways that I am a visual-kinaesthetic learner. So if you decide to do a Clapotis, which is really pretty straight forward once you understand the written directions, you may want to check out this tutorial for doing the dropped stitch.

4 comments:

  1. Just goes to show how different people learn things.

    Imagine if the way they taught us at school used three different approaches to learning?

    I wonder how much better we'd all have done if there was more kinesthetic/visual teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember the problem I had with the Science teacher, what was her name, Mrs.... in yr 11 when I was diagnosed with Meres-Irlen? I had prescription tinted glasses and was repeatedly told to remove them. In the end I gave up and continued with the migraines.

    I could not see the green pen on the new whiteboards and I was struggling to see the a majority of the red pen writing as well. What the problem was that shinny white board was causing me even more grief. I can see the colours normally but the glare from the boards were horrendous, especially with the fluorescent lights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember that ... there was Mrs Bold ... I had her for biology ... but I think you did more sciences than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeap I did the full spread of science except for Biology, I think it was Mrs Collins she was the Chemistry teacher and and we had her in Yr10 and then got her for Chemistry for Yr11&12

    ReplyDelete