Tuesday 29 March 2011

Skill + 1UP

Last year I took the challenge of working on my Lace skills.  It was about 18 months ago after many many attempts and a bit of determination did I finally get how to read lace charts.  I have become so familiar and comfortable with the charts in the last 12 months that I now find looking at written instructions to be a pain in the arse and sometime confusing. Who woulda thunk for this dyslexic bunny?? I just needed the hand holding and support from the ravelry beginner lace knitters group!


To think I struggled the first time I knitted this pattern.

This year I am working on developing my technique knowledge and skills through the use of socks. This is where I using sock projects to work on alternative construction techniques and approaches such as toe up, two at a time and different heels construction.

One of the recent completed sock patterns.
I am also trying to improve my colour work and design skills and the sock projects are giving just enough practice for each. I am doing the lace challenge again but this year all the patterns are more advanced and this is a reflection that I am advancing in my skills.  I am also working on my spinning I am determined to get better at lace weight.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful shawl! And yes, socks are great for trying out skills on a small takealong project, aren't they? What yarns and patterns are these that you've pictured in this post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shawl is a Haruni by Emily Ross in rowan pure 4ply wool.

    While the socks are NZ Possum yarn and the pattern was Cachoeria by Kristi Geraci Both patterns are available on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete